Clinics & Services

Attached Primary Health Care Professionals - include the District nurse, Midwife, Health Visitor, Community Psychiatric nurse, Social Worker, Counsellor, Physiotherapist, Community Matron, Podiatrist and other Specialist nurses (PCT).

Services Available:home_visit

  • Alcohol Service
  • Asthma Clinic
  • Blood Pressure Monitoring
  • Cervical Smear and Well Woman Clinic
  • Child Health Clinic Childhood Immunisations
  • Counselling
  • Diabetes Clinic
  • Elderly Screening
  • Family Planning
  • Heart Disease Prevention
  • Holiday Vaccinations
  • Maternity Care (Antenatal/Postnatal)
  • Minor Injuries Service
  • Minor Surgery
  • Physiotherapy
  • Podiatry
  • Sexual Health
  • Smoking Cessation Clinic
  • Teenage Health
  • Well Man Clinic

Over 75's

We offer an annual check-up to all patients aged 75 years and over—please book an appointment to see your GP or practice nurse.

What to do when you are unwell

DDES What to do if you are unwell


MSK Self-Referral

If you feel that you need further help and advice and/or could benefit from Physiotherapy, you are now able to make a direct referral to the County Durham Integrated MSK Service (CD-IMS) by following the link below.


This service is available if:

- You are aged 16 years and older

- You are registered with a GP within the North Durham, Derwentside, Durham Dales and Easington/Sedgefield area.

How to contact

You can contact the service by:

By phone:   01388 455 200

By post:

  • AHP Central Appointments
  • 1st floor Education Building
  • Bishop Auckland Hospital
  • Cockton Hill
  • DL14 6AD


Emergency Contraception Service

Emergency Hormonal Contraception pills (sometimes called 'the morning after pill') must be taken within 72 hours (3 days) of having sex. These pills are most effective if taken within 12 hours. You can get these pills for free from any of our clinics or from a participating pharmacy. It is advisable to check that a trained pharmacist is on site prior to attending.

Some pharmacies across County Durham and Darlington may have amended their opening hours due to COVID-19. Please check with individual pharmacies for details. Click below to see participating pharmacies in your area: Local pharmacies offering free emergency contraception service


Sexual Health Services

In Durham the Sexual Health services are provided by the local hospital trust, CDDFT. You can find information about their services and how to access them on their website below.

Their services include:

  • Sexual health screening (AKA STI Check)
  • Contraceptive services including IUD/Coils

Contact Sexual Health Service to arrange and appointment


Stop Smoking Service

Stopping smoking is really hard, but makes a huge difference to your health and finances.

County Durham has an excellent Smoking Cessation service that can help you quit. They are able to arrange medication and other support to help you stop for good.

Get Stop Smoking Help from Smoke Free County Durham



Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS)

If you have a recent problem with your eyes – such as sore eyes, red eyes or visual disturbance – you can be assessed and treated by our local Minor Eye Conditions Service.

This is a free NHS service available from a number of local opticians.

How do I book an appointment with the service?

To make an appointment, call one of the opticians below. You will be asked some questions about your symptoms in order to assess how quickly you need to be seen by the service, which will be within 24 hours in urgent cases and within a few days for routine appointments.

Find a participating Optician

Conditions treated

Conditions that can be seen under the service include:

  • Red eye or eyelids
  • Dry eye, or gritty and uncomfortable eyes
  • Irritation and inflammation of the eye
  • Significant recent sticky discharge from the eye or watery eye
  • Recently occurring flashes or floaters
  • Ingrowing eyelashes
  • Recent and sudden loss of vision
  • Foreign body in the eye

If you have a major eye condition that is being regularly monitored by your optometrist or hospital eye service, this will not be covered by this service; for example, cataracts, diabetic retinopathy or glaucoma.

Where should I go?

Registered optometry practices (opticians) offering the service are listed above. An appointment will normally be required, so telephone first. Appointments are available during normal working hours and some practices offer appointment at weekends. Not all practices have an optometrist available every day,
but if they don’t, they will be able to find you an alternative appointment nearby.

Who is this service for?

If you are registered with a local GP you can use this free service. It is for people of all ages – adults and children. Children under 16 years must be accompanied at their appointment by an adult.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website